I was heading to a friend’s house for a little get together/brainstorming session and just wasn’t feeling my go-to pot luck dishes. When I was out picking up ingredients so I could make my roasted root veggies (again…le sigh), I spotted some organic pears on sale. Hit by a flash of inspiration, I decided to go for a dessert and try baked pears.
Once home, I gave the pears a quick rinse, cut them in half and scooped out the core with a spoon. After some internal debate, I notched out the flower end. I opted to keep the stems because it was pretty.
I think pretty much anything taste great with cinnamon, brown sugar and butter so I went with those. I sprinkled the brown sugar on first. Next came a liberal dusting of cinnamon (I love it!) and a small pat of butter. I loaded them onto a foil lined pizza tray and popped them in the oven for 30 minutes on 350.
They were alright for a first try but there are a few things I would do differently.
- Heavier on the brown sugar and mix with cinnamon before applying.
- Spices too concentrated. Rub spices onto pears instead of sprinkling.
- A bit buttery. Maybe melt butter and combined with spices? Lightly scored pears to allow flavor to penetrate?
- Suggestions for spice addition: star anise, clove
- Serve immediately from oven with scoop of vanilla bean ice cream!
I did come up with a brilliant idea for a different take. Goat cheese, honey and almonds?? Sounds delicious! It was super fast and made enough for me to take to the gathering with extra for home.
Side note: I have my job back at Blue Mountain and will be starting next week! Woot, woot! Still plenty of time to craft and maybe even give this recipe another shot. Suggestions welcome 😉